After An Accident, Do Not Wait To Get Trusted Help

Five Questions to Ask Your Doctor After Suffering Car Accident Injuries

On Behalf of | Nov 26, 2018 | Personal Injury Law |


You know the importance of seeking appropriate treatment at an emergency room or urgent care center after you were hurt in an auto collision. However, you should follow up with your primary care physician as well. Your doctor has your medical records and can evaluate your injuries based upon your history. This follow up visit is also critical when filing a claim for compensation from the responsible driver, so you need to get as much information as possible. An Ocala, FL car accident attorney can explain in more detail, but make sure to ask certain questions during your appointment.

  1.  How long will it take to recover from my injuries? The severity and type of injuries are two considerations in figuring out your recovery time. Broken bones, lacerations, and soft tissue injuries may only take a few weeks. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and spinal cord trauma could take months or even years. In extreme cases, you may never fully recover. 
  1. Do I need to take time off work? Your doctor may recommend that you limit your physical activities, which means you may need to take a leave of absence from work. The exact amount of time depends on your pain level, and the possibility that you could exacerbate or reinjure yourself. The nature of your job is also a factor, so you may be able to get back to work faster if work tasks are not overly strenuous. 
  1. Should I limit physical activities? It is possible that you will need to limit other activities, including those you enjoy. Not being able to ride your bicycle, hike, participate in sports, or play with children is unfortunate. However, it is important to follow your doctor’s orders because diminished quality of life may be part of your claim for compensation. 
  1. What medications will I need for pain? Some injuries are so painful that you will need a prescription to achieve reasonable comfort. With other aches and pains, your physician may suggest that you use over-the-counter pain medications. In addition, ice packs, heating pads, massage therapy, and related remedies may provide some relief without drugs. 
  1. Will I need to see a specialist? A primary care practitioner has a well-rounded knowledge of medicine, but you may require more in-depth health treatment for certain injuries. You may require surgery or care from an orthopedic specialist for knee, ankle, wrist, or arm injuries. For head trauma, you might be referred to a neurologist. Your doctor will know the best strategy for meeting with a specialist.

A Knowledgeable Ocala, FL Car Accident Lawyer Can Answer Additional Questions

It is critical to get as much information as possible from your doctor after a car crash. These details will help you return to health as quickly as possible, and they reduce the likelihood of reinjury through too much activity. However, a second objective for getting answers to your questions is to support your claim for compensation. If you were hurt in an auto accident and want to know more about your legal options, please contact Piccin & Glynn, Attorneys at Law. We can set up a free case evaluation at our Ocala, FL office, so call 352-558-8480 or visit our website to schedule your appointment.