Guidance For Those Who Were Injured By Defective Products
Consumer products play a huge role in our lives, as we each use many different products on a daily basis. When you purchase a product — large or small — you expect it to be safe for its intended use and for it to come with adequate warnings regarding potential risks of injuries. This is often not the case, however, as manufacturers can and do produce and sell products that may be defective and lead to accidents and injuries.
If you or a member of your household was injured because of a dangerous product, you may have the legal right to recover by making a claim under products liability law. The personal injury lawyers at Piccin & Glynn can help you determine if you have a claim and can guide you through the process. You can call us now at 352-581-6174 to schedule your free consultation.
Many Products Can Be Dangerous
While any product may be defective, the following are some items that are commonly at issue in products liability cases:
- Motor vehicle parts: Many different parts on a car or any other motor vehicle can be defective in design leading to serious collisions. Parts that commonly malfunction and cause injury include brakes, tires, axles, steering columns and air bags.
- Home appliances: Our homes are filled with many different appliances intended for our convenience, however stoves, dryers, grills, toasters, electronics, power tools, and many other appliances can cause burns, lacerations and other severe injuries.
- Pharmaceuticals and medical devices: When a doctor prescribes a drug or medical device, you should be able to trust that it will improve your quality of life and not cause additional illness or injury. Unfortunately, many different medications and devices lead to product liability claims because users developed cancer, blood clots or other serious medical conditions as adverse side effects.
- Infant and child products: Parents generally try to choose carefully when selecting safe products for their small children. No matter how careful parents maybe, cribs, strollers, swings, carriers, toys, and other products can be defective and cause injury to children.
These are only some examples, as almost any type of product has the potential to cause injury in some way.
Proving Manufacturer Negligence
Manufacturers can be negligent in different ways that result in a dangerous product and injuries. The following are the primary acts of negligence in this type of claim:
- Defective design;
- Defective manufacture; or
- Failing to warn consumers of inherent risks of using the product.
Proving any of these negligent acts can require extensive investigation and the opinions of industry experts, so you always want to seek out a product liability lawyer with the resources and experience necessary to hold a large manufacturer accountable for its actions.
Find Out How Our Experienced Product Liability Lawyers Can Help You
Before moving to Ocala in 1974, John H. Piccin defended products liability suits as a member of the General Motors Corporation Legal Staff in Detroit, Michigan. He has successfully sued major manufacturers for decades. At Piccin & Glynn, our experienced legal team strives to protect the rights of individuals who have suffered injury due to dangerous products. Case evaluations are free, so please call our office at 352-581-6174 for assistance today.