After An Accident, Do Not Wait To Get Trusted Help

Answers To Your Personal Injury Questions

Our personal injury frequently asked questions (FAQ) page goes over some of the most common questions we’ve received at Piccin & Glynn. If you do not see your question on this page, you can call our Ocala office now at 352-558-8480. Our personal injury attorneys will answer your question and help you understand your next step.

Q. How Long Do I Have To File My Claim?

A. In Florida, generally you must settle or file your personal injury negligence claim in Court within four (4) years of the accident. For wrongful death cases, you generally must file within two (2) years of death. For insurance cases, you generally have five (5) years to file your claim. The Statute of limitations for medical malpractice is complicated and must be protected by an experienced Medical Malpractice lawyer. Failure to timely handle your claim can result in your being barred from any recovery.

Q. What If I Am Partially At Fault In An Accident? Can I Still Get Money?

A. It depends on how much your actions (or inactions) caused the accident. Florida law allows a jury to weigh the percentages that all persons involved were at fault and reduce money damages accordingly. For example, if you were 10% at fault in a car accident and the other driver was 90% at fault, your damages would be reduced by 10%.

Q. How Much Is This Lawsuit Going To Cost Me?

A. When starting a lawsuit, a common concern is whether you can afford a lawyer. At Piccin & Glynn, you do not pay any fees or costs until your case has concluded. Your lawyer will be paid only if you receive compensation as a result of a negotiated settlement or a jury verdict.

Q. How Much Money Will I Receive?

A. Each case is unique and based on a number of different factors. Injuries, circumstances and facts all vary from case to case. Only an experienced personal injury lawyer can provide guidance on the issue of compensation after reviewing your particular situation.

Q. Will I Have To Go To Court?

A. Every case should be prepared for trial. However, most cases resolve without going to trial. In the unlikely event your case goes to trial, John Piccin, Katie Glynn and sometimes additional counsel will handle your case.

Q. What If I Was In An Accident And I Injured A Part Of My Body That I Injured Years Before?

A. Prior injuries to the same part of the body are known as “preexisting conditions.” In Florida, you can still recover damages. However, insurance companies and defense lawyers will often use your preexisting condition as an excuse to try to settle your case for less than it is worth.

Q. What If The Person Who Hit Me Doesn’t Have Insurance?

A. Florida motorists are not required to carry bodily injury liability insurance. If an uninsured motorist hits you, you are possibly out of luck unless you have uninsured motorist coverage. It is extremely important to have adequate uninsured motorist insurance and to retain a lawyer familiar with uninsured motorist claims.

Q. Who Can Recover Damages In A Wrongful Death Suit?

A. In Florida, recovery generally is limited to the deceased’s spouse, children and parents. Blood relatives and adoptive brothers and sisters may also be entitled to compensation.

Q. What If I Don’t Like The Amount Of Money The Insurance Company Offers?

A. As your lawyers, we strive to ensure that you receive the highest and fairest settlement possible. We cannot accept any settlement offer without your approval. Our lawyers will take the time and give you the personalized attention you need to understand any settlement offer, as well as to analyze the risks/benefits of proceeding to a jury trial.

Contact Our Office Now

You can learn more by contacting our Ocala law firm. You can call us now at 352-558-8480 or send us an email to schedule your free consultation.